Monday, August 8, 2011

CSUMB

The CSUMB (CA State Univ. Monterey Bay) course is on a former military base that's been transformed into a state university. After a little map consultation I found my way to the first hole and started off solo at around 4:30 pm in breezy conditions. I think this course has the most potential for windyness so I'm glad we play it in the morning with a shotgun start. The first five holes feature a lots of OB danger and significant elevation changes and has the most "urban" feel of anywhere we play. After really screwing up hole three I decided to go back and play it again and met a masters player from Phoenix named Toad (#24029) at the tee box. We ended up playing together for a while and since he had played more of the course already he was able to give me some good advice about where to watch for trouble. This is another looong course (10,911' par 86) and there are plenty of spots where it would be easy to lose a disc. There was almost no one else playing the front part of the course where we were but we did see Brad Hammock practicing his putting in the wind by himself on hole 3. Toad took off after the eighth or ninth hole and I played the rest by myself occasionally throwing an extra shot or two in an attempt to find out what disc to use in competition. I've also been taking notes on the back of the course maps I carry with me to refer to once the tourney starts. I wrapped up the round at 7:15 and with a few mulligans thrown into the mix I managed to play the course shooting around 89 for the twenty-seven holes. I had a few deuces on the course including a couple of really long ones which felt encouraging. There are some cool holes on this course but my overall impression is that it's my least favorite one of the tourney. It's plenty challenging but it just isn't particularly pretty and it feels the least developed of the bunch. If there are plenty of spotters out there on Thursday it'll really help keep things moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment